Traveling Internationally with Your Pet

What you need:

Rabies Vaccine Certificate

  • When travelling internationally you must have an up to date rabies vaccine that has been administered by a licensed veterinarian.
  • The certificate must contain breed, sex, age, colour, markings and other identifying information. It must also have the date is given, the expiry date of vaccine and the veterinarians signature.
  • It is important to research the country you are travelling to, as each country has different specifications for when rabies must be done by. For example, some countries might require that you have the rabies vaccine given within 30 days of travel while others say you must have it within 7 days.

Health Certificate

  • Again, research is advised for where you are travelling. Most countries require a health certificate from a health exam that was completed by a veterinarian. This should be done within 10 days of travel.
  • An animal must be deemed healthy by a veterinarian in order to travel.

Deworming Flea/Tick and Heart Worm Prevention

  • Some countries require you to have dewormed your pet before travel. Please research your specific country before travelling. If you are going somewhere warm heartworm and flea/tick prevention is advised.


How are you travelling?

  • If you are travelling by plane, please make sure that you have called the airline for their travel specifications for pets. This is very important as it could make or break a travel plan.


  • A puppy must be at least 4 months old to travel. Rabies is given at 3 months, and it takes 30 days for the vaccine to take effect.

Written by: Sam Miller, ACA