We have put together a list of the top 10 places to travel with your dog in North America.
- Cannon Beach, Oregon, USA: Cannon Beach is one of the best places to be if you happen to be a dog. Whether its playing fetch on the miles of sandy beach, hiking through the many trails of trees, or taking a swim in the ocean, Cannon Beach offers a beautiful expanse to explore for both human and canine.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada: This French-Canadian city is home to a lot of hotels that are also pet-friendly. There are also about 20 different dog parks in the city, with three of the best located right downtown. Walking trails and streets lined with pet-friendly stores and terraces also make this area a great destination for your dog.
- Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada: This scenic part of Alberta has many things to offer for your dog. A 1.5-acre off-leash dog park, a canoe club that allows your dog to join you for a ride on the water, and plenty of trails, meadows, and forests to roam.
- Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada: Looking to find milder weather without leaving Canada? The Gulf Islands of British Columbia may be the answer! Salt Spring Island is located between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island. There are lots of dog-friendly rental homes and bed and breakfasts on the island, and lots of activities to make both you and your dog happy. There are beaches, trails, and even shops that accept dogs. In addition, there’s the Salt Spring Island Saturday Market doggy daycare! This small, friendly island is a great spot for both human and dog.
- San Diego, California, USA: This sunny, warm city is a dream for dog lovers and owners alike. There are 16 off-leash dog parks and outdoor restaurants that are pet-friendly. The Lighthouse Ice Cream shop even offers pet-friendly ice cream to spoil your dog with. There’s also the Original Paw Pleasers, a doggy bakery, featuring freshly baked dog treats. Head over to Dog Beach, where your dog can run in the sand or swim in the ocean. For a place to shop, go to the Otay Ranch Town Center that welcomes both two and four-legged shoppers.
- New York, USA: The city that never sleeps is also a great city for your canine companion. There are dog parks galore (though Central Park offers the most fun for pets and owners alike, with 23 off-leash areas) along with plenty of dog-friendly restaurants.
- Key West, Florida, USA: This beautiful part of Florida has lots to offer you and your dog. You can do everything from kayaking with the Lazy Dog Kayak, to going on a dolphin watch. Don’t forget to visit the ever-popular Key West Dog Beach!
- Cabot Shores, Nova Scotia, Canada: Cabot Shores, a wilderness resort and retreat in Cape Breton. This assortment of chalets, yurts, geodesic domes and campsites lets pets run free over its 22 hectares, with some rooms even featuring separate pet entrances. Located along the landscape of the Cabot Trail, this will make for many scenic photoshoots with your dog!
- Rideau Canal, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: With more than 45 dog parks, Ottawa is a great spot for dogs. Just south of the area, on the Rideau Canal, you can have a scenic walk along the banks of the canal. You can also walk down to the Ottawa Locks and watch boats go through the gates, rent a houseboat, take a stroll through the ByWard Farmer’s Market. You can head to Major’s Hill Park which offers great walking paths and views of Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River.
- Arizona, USA: Discover the beautiful and unique landscape of Arizona with your four-legged friend! See the wonder of the Grand Canyon National Park where you and your dog can walk the 20 kilometres of the South Rim, where dogs are permitted. Let your dog stop and smell all the flowers as you wander through the five and a half acres of the Tucson Botanical Gardens together. Don’t miss a visit to the Goldfield Ghost Town, where you and your dog can pan for gold, tour the mine, and ride the narrow-gauge railroad together.
Written by: Amanda Thomson, ACA